Our team has considerable experience in Will drafting, tax and estate planning for a wide variety of high profile and high net worth individuals and families from all over the world, including entrepreneurs, successful professionals, land owners and those in the entertainment industry or with inherited wealth. We work hard to build close relationships and appreciate your own unique needs and requirements. We specialise in the preparation of Wills for high net worth individuals, often incorporating trusts for asset protection and tax planning purposes, as well as to cater for difficult family situations.
Several of the lawyers in our team are also Chartered Tax Advisers which means we are focused upon helping you with legitimate tax planning and mitigation strategies. We specialise in the creation of tax efficient Wills and trusts structures to protect your wealth and ensure it transfers to future generations. As part of our service we can identify opportunities to mitigate UK inheritance tax through careful planning where appropriate.
If your wealth is founded on the success of the family business, we can also help you consider how that is managed through the generations, how control devolves and how the continued success of the business can be maintained after your death or retirement.
We act for both domestic and international clients and are highly experienced in co-ordinating international planning if you have foreign interests. We have the global networks and experience to effectively co-ordinate international planning. If you have foreign domicile and/or residence, you may also take advantage of your status to benefit from tax planning opportunities. We regularly advise on the benefits of using offshore trusts and other structures.
In an ageing population there can come a time when either you or a member of your family cannot make these kinds of decisions for themselves. Our expert Court of Protection solicitors can advise you how to manage the assets of a member of your family who may no longer be able to do so because of incapacity. We can also help you at an earlier stage, as part of your planning, by putting in place a Lasting Power of Attorney which can help avoid much greater difficulties for your loved ones in the future.
We recognise that families are more complex these days and the transfer of wealth between generations can cause problems. Disputes about Wills and Trusts may arise which can be very challenging and upsetting for the individuals involved, as well as the family as a whole. Our specialist team can help you avoid and resolve these problems.
Whatever your needs for your Will and estate planning, it is our job to make complex issues simple for you to ensure a trouble-free succession as far as possible.
We have worked with clients from all over the world, building close relationships to secure the most appropriate and effective Wills and estate planning strategies for the benefit of their families.Our recent work has included:
- Advising a family who have emigrated from the UK to minimise the inheritance tax exposure on their UK assets
- Acting for non-UK domiciled clients concerning the UK tax treatment of their income and capital gains arising outside the UK
- Advising the UK heirs of a foreign domiciled family member concerning UK tax planning opportunities for the estate
- Acting for a retired entrepreneur prior to his arrival in the UK concerning wealth structuring to make optimum use of his non-domiciled status
- Advising a foreign national about establishing an offshore trust to hold his valuable UK property portfolio
- Advising a UK resident non-domiciled client about capital gains tax mitigation for a foreign property investment using an appropriate offshore structure
- Acting for the Trustee of an offshore trust concerning the optimum holding structure to shelter from UK tax in respect of a valuable art collection situated in the UK
- Advising Trustees and beneficiaries of an offshore trust on restructuring the trust in advance of the settlor losing protection from US federal estate tax under the UK/US double estate tax treaty.