Our specialist team offers extensive expertise in issues concerning children and we have particular experience in dealing with these added complexities and sensitivities, including where there is an international element.
We can advise you on:Child finances – we have acted on a number of cases involving high profile, wealthy absent parents, and understand the particular issues that arise in situations involving substantial assets and/or income.
Child arrangement orders – these regulate when and with whom a child is to live, spend time or otherwise have contact.
Adoption and fostering – a complex and specialist area in which we can assist in all types of cases, including adoption by step-parents (both heterosexual and same sex) and relatives and international adoptions.
Surrogacy – we have developed a particular expertise in this area. Our role is to facilitate the process for commissioning parents, who may be a heterosexual or same sex couple. There is an increasing international element to surrogacy arrangements as more couples choose to use a surrogate abroad and you will benefit from the links we have established with colleagues abroad as well as our specialist immigration service
Relocation disputes – where one parent wishes to relocate a child, nationally or internationally. Growing numbers of international couples mean that such disputes are increasingly frequent.
Specific issue and prohibited steps orders – these deal with particular issues, such as how a child should be educated, what surname a child should use, whether medical treatment can be provided and whether a child can be taken abroad on holiday.
Child abduction – we are experienced in dealing with Hague and European Convention cases and provide a committed, round-the-clock service to our clients at such a difficult and emotional time.
In all cases, we ensure that we protect your interests and the welfare of your child or children and offer you our complete discretion at all times.
Our Family team has extensive experience helping high profile and high net worth clients deal with the full range of issues involving children, both nationally and internationally.Our recent work has included:
- Advising a couple in an international surrogacy
- Acting for a wealthy entrepreneur father in Schedule 1 proceedings
- Acting for mother in a case involving allegations of physical and psychological abuse against the mother and allegations of emotional and psychological abuse against the father
- Acting for a mother where the father abducted the child from the parties’ home in Beijing without the Mother’s consent and brought him to London. There were serious allegations of abuse, both physical and sexual, against the mother and allegations of mental health issues against the father
- Acting for a wife in drafting a post-nuptial agreement involving substantial assets and trust and corporate structures across multiple jurisdictions
- Acting for an ex-wife in a case which examined the interplay of UK and European law in a Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996 (TOLATA) application to determine jurisdiction.
- DM and LK, Re  EWHC 270 (Fam) – surrogacy (enduring relationships and consent).